The United States is a country that attracts many foreigners due to its abundant opportunities for a better life. Many people from different countries are willing to migrate and settle down in the United States in a heartbeat.
However, these people have to undergo some basic requirements for them to be granted that permission. This is where the green card comes in. a green card is an application form filed by either an individual or a family looking to obtain all the legal documentation as a lawful resident of the United States.
It’s important to note that once you obtain a green card and become a legal citizen of the United States, you’re required to carry it around with you at all times.
However, if you’re looking to apply for a green card, there are three important things you should know.
Different Types Of Green Cards
It’s important to bear in mind that there are different types of green cards depending on the situation you’re in. these different types of green cards often come with their requirements, which is why it’s important to be specific about the one you need. The different types of green cards include:
Family-Based Green Card
This type of green card is often applied for by individuals related to a United States citizen or a current green cardholder. All the eligible applicants for this green card include parents, siblings, spouses, and children.
Other special individuals who are also eligible to apply for this green card also include the widows and widowers who were married to a United States citizen when they died.
Like the spouses of the United States’ citizen applying for the marriage-based green card, these widows and widowers have to show their marriage certificates to prove their marriage was authentic.
However, it’s important to note that other family members related to the green card holder or a United States citizen such as cousins, uncles, or aunts are cannot apply for a family-based green card.
Employment-Based Green Card
In this category, different workers can apply for a green card. In some cases, also their spouses and children might be eligible for a green card. This category often involves the workers that have received job offers in the United States. According to the guidelines provided by https://usa-green-card.com/, here are some of the people eligible for the employment-based green card:
- Priority workers such as Multinational managers and executives, outstanding professors, and researchers.
- Professionals with advanced degrees and those with exceptional abilities.
- Physicians with a special waiver.
- Skilled workers that require at least two years worth of training.
- Unskilled workers that require at most two years of training.
- Special workers such as media professionals and religious personnel.
- Investors who have invested at least $1million or $500,000 in high-unemployment areas.
Humanitarian Based Green Cards
This category is often set aside for the following:
- Abuse victims.
- Crime victims.
- Refugees and asylees.
- Human trafficking victims.
Other Types Of Green Cards
- Diversity lottery green card.
- Returning resident green card.
Requirements For A Green Card Application
Regardless of the type of green card you choose to apply for, you must meet a set of requirements set by the United States government. They include:
- You should not have a criminal record.
- If you ever stayed in the United States before, you must have respected all the rules and regulations and not overstayed your visa.
- If you’re applying for an employment-based green card, you must have a valid job offer. This is often proven by presenting a contract or signed letter which indicates where and when you should begin working.
- For any family-based green card application, family members should be residing in the United States.
- If you’re applying for a green card while actively living in the United States, you should have a dual intent visa.
How To Go About The Green Card Application Process
Once you’ve understood the whole process regarding green card application, you’ll need to follow a few steps:
- Have a sponsor petition. Your employer or a family member in the United States should petition on your behalf.
- Obtain the National Visa Center (NVC) package.
- Apply for a visa at the US Embassy.
- Visit the United States with the arrival package once your visa is approved.
A green card is very important for those who intend to become naturalized citizens of the United States. This is because the green card presents you with many employment opportunities and the freedom to freely live in the United States.
keep Visiting washwm.com for interesting topics!